Tuesday, September 23, 2008

[MRL 377] Ellerine Harding - Ellerine





Dusty Groove review:
Breathy, beautiful soul from Ellerine Harding -- a lesser-known 70s singer, but one who managed to cut this great album for the Mainstream label! Like some of the other soul on Mainstream, the approach here is inflected with a bit of jazz -- arrangements scored by Wade Marcus, and featuring lots of mellow electric piano work from Paul Griffin -- stepping lazily along in a way that complements Ellerine's vocals nicely. None of the tracks are too over the top, and there's a mature, easy-going feel to the record that's further complemented by the range of unusual tunes for the set -- a number of which are written by Jimmy Briggs. Titles include "Sho Nuff I Need You Baby", "Don't Take The Time", "I Ain't Got Much", "Get Up Daddy", "A Fool In Love", and "If It Makes You Feel Good It's All Right". CD features 2 bonus tracks too -- "We'll Cry Together" and "Tonight Let The Other Woman Cry Some".



Info from Discogs:


Arranged By - Wade Marcus
Bass - Gordon Edwards , Wilbur Bascomb
Bassoon - John Leone
Congas - Ray Barretto
Drums - Bernard Purdie , Jimmy Johnson
Electric Piano - Paul Griffin
Flugelhorn - Bob McCoy , Jimmy Sedlar , Mel Davis , Thad Jones
Flute - Phil Bodner , Seldon Powell
French Horn -
Donald Corrado , Jim Buffington
Guitar -
Cornell Dupree , Hughie McCracken
Oboe - George Marge
Percussion - George Devens
Piccolo Flute - Phil Bodner
Saxophone [Alto] - George Marge
Saxophone [Baritone] - John Leone
Saxophone [Tenor] - Phil Bodner , Seldon Powell
Trombone -
Garnett Brown , Harry DiVito , Urbie Green
Trumpet - Bob McCoy , Jimmy Sedlar , Mel Davis , Thad Jones , Victor Paz

Producer -
Bob Shad


A1 If It Makes You Feel Good - It's All Right (3:27)
A2 Get Up Daddy (3:02)
A3 A Fool In Love (2:36)
A4 I Ain't Got Much (But Whatever I Got It's Yours Baby) (3:15)
A5 To Whom It May Concern (All I Need) (3:05)
B1 Human Feeling (3:17)
B2 Don't Take The Time (2:40)
B3 Sho'Nuff I Need You Baby (2:51)
B4 Write Me If I'm Wrong (3:04)
B5 I Know Something You Don't Know (2:53)

7 comments:

Arkadin said...

Good evening, Cheeba!

Here's another addition to the Shad Shack (what is a shad shack btw? My English is a little out of date...):

http://sharebee.com/0496c01d

Bye for now!

Arkadin

cheeba said...

Hello Arkadin!

Thanks again for another fine contribution!

"Shad" comes from Bob Shad, the owner and producer of Mainstream Records. "Shack" is like a very basic dwelling. Your English is good BTW!

Arkadin said...

Hello Cheeba!

Well, I've got some assistance from an online dictionary... ;-)

But thanks for the compliment and explaining what Shad's Shack means. (If I had read your introducing text before where you mention Bobby Shad I could have found out myself - shame on my laziness! ;-))

I'm pleased to hear that you like The Phoenix Authority - definitely a fine album!

Have a nice day!

Arkadin

ish said...

Nice work Arkadin. Thanks for this.

ubu said...

Wow, this is one hell of a great album! Sweet and bitter stuff, I'll listen to this many, many times!

Simon666 said...

Hi Arkadin and Cheeba,
I’ve linked to this page in my post of Sir Edward (Harold Vick) – “The Power Of Feeling” (1973). The connection is bassist Wilbur Bascomb.
All the Best,
Simon

Economiewurm said...

Amazing album, I really dig this kind of music (Alice Clark, Minnie Ripperton etc.). Thanks Arkadin for sharing this gem (and Cheeba for setting up this website).